The United Neighborhoods Neighborhood Council (UNNC) is about the business of uniting our neighborhoods and fostering community engagement. “The Community is the backbone of our existence and their involvement and voices are the foundation upon which our neighborhoods will be elevated into the next decade and beyond,” explains UNNC Vice President Denise Jackson.
We have been working hard to develop a sense of community and get people involved through community events, neighborhood building, and addressing quality of life issues. To increase community engagement in 2017, we sponsored these community-wide events:
- Fire Service Day: Engaged with stakeholders, provided involvement information and giveaways.
- CD10 Movies in the Park: Fun evenings out for families in our neighborhood
- West Adams Ave Jazz Festival: Sponsored this premier event with great music, local vendors, and dancing in the streets.
- National Night Out: Brought the community together with law enforcement for community safety.
- Kaidan Project: Promoted local immersive art experience
- CD10 Winter Wonderland and Bike Give Away for needy children
We also reached out to bring neighbors and businesses together in their communities:
- Provided funding for the Jefferson Park Business Improvement Initiative to develop documentation on creating a standard for consistent beautiful storefronts.
- Provided funding for the Arlington Heights Neighborhood Association start-up including arlingtonheightsla.org website and logo.
- Sponsored the Bennie H. Potter Park Holiday EventFunded children activities for the event.
- Sponsored the Jefferson Park Holiday Event: Funded the DJ, face painter and more
In 2018 we plan to increase our community involvement and bring exciting neighborhood-specific events to our stakeholders.
Beyond just event planning, we provided planning and zoning input to numerous housing and business developments within the UNNC footprint, including the Dunkin Donuts in Arlington Heights and outreach to support renaming Rodeo Rd to Obama Blvd.
Of course with the overwhelming increase in airplane noise we have been actively working on this critical issue to inform and empower stakeholders to speak up to bring about change.
We received several awards for our work this year including recognition for 15 years of service, an award from the Clean Streets Initiative, and an award from the Board of Neighborhood Commissioners for holding the oil companies accountable.
We invite you to join us at an event, at a committee meeting or one of our Board Meetings on the first Thursday of the month. Stay informed on our website, sign up for our periodic emails, and join the conversation on https://www.facebook.com/UNNC.LA and https://twitter.com/UNNC .